Wednesday, January 11, 2012

National Human Trafficking Awareness Day

Not too long ago, I read a book that impacted me more than any book I've read in a really long time- in fact, maybe ever (with just a few exceptions). Rachel Lloyd's Girls Like Us is a book that explores the commercial sexual exploitation of young girls and teenagers domestically. While I have read about and learned about the trafficking that happens abroad, I had no idea how prevalent it was in the US. This book really opened my eyes, broke my heart, and made it clear to me that we have a responsibility to do something, no matter how big or small.


If you are interested, I have attached a preview of her book below so that you can check it out yourself.




Browse Inside this book
Get this for your site



In honor of today being National Human Trafficking Awareness Day, I would encourage you to engage with this issue in some way.


Here are a few ideas:
  • Pick up a copy of one of the following books (or find one on Amazon.com that interests you- there are many!) and start reading-
    • Girls Like Us by Rachel Lloyd
    • Not For Sale: The Return of the Global Slave Trade--and How We Can Fight it by David Batstone
    • God in a Brothel: An Undercover Journey into Sex Trafficking and Rescue by Daniel Walker
  • Consider raising or donating funds to an organization that works to rescue people from slavery- International Justice Mission, Not for Sale, World Relief, GEMS (Girls Educational and Mentoring Services)... to name a few.
  • Watch the documentary Very Young Girls, which documents the buying and selling of young girls. I have not seen this, but can only imagine how powerful and tough it would be to watch.
  • If you live locally in Raleigh or the surrounding areas, you can sign up to attend a workshop to learn more about the trafficking industry- with the Salvation Army of Wake County on January 20th &21st. For more information, follow this link.
  • Another local opportunity happening March 24- World Relief Stop Human Trafficking Walk/Run. This will be happening in Durham- for more info, follow this link (scroll down and you'll see it!).

No comments:

Post a Comment