Thursday, September 15, 2011

Do you ever have moments, hours, days that shake you out of your daily routine and remind you what it is that really matters in this life? I had one of those days yesterday. A friend of mine lost her boyfriend unexpectedly yesterday morning- she received a phone call and in a matter of a few moments, her life changed significantly. What a heartbreaking event-- words aren't capable of expressing the kind of pain that she is in. 


I couldn't help but be reminded of the brevity of life. As cliche as it sounds, life is truly precious. It's so easy to get stressed out by small details- even big important details, to take advantage of how amazing the people in our lives are, or to forget what life is really all about. For me, I am reminded that my plans, my stress, my goals, etc. pale to the fact that I woke up this morning, and I have a strong faith, family and loved ones, which are many things to be thankful for. It is so easy to get caught up in the daily habits and pace of life that sometimes we forget to stop and remember how lucky we are to be alive, and how lucky we are to have all that we have.


You don't need to know my friend's name to pray for her- she could use your thoughts and prayers. Maybe today provides a moment for you to step back, take a breath and appreciate the life that has been given to you. I feel like I was seeing things through new eyes as I appreciated each breath today.


I posted this quote on gratitude not too long ago on my blog, but I thought I would post it again- it's great. And for those of you dealing with extremely painful circumstances and feelings, practicing gratitude doesn't mean ignoring your feelings or passing over your grief. 


Enjoy the quote below, and be thankful today.



No comments:

Post a Comment