Monday, June 27, 2011

Happy Monday!!

Hope this post finds you enjoying the start of a new week! This post finds me with an extra few minutes to enjoy at my office before things pick up again, and I am hearing LOUD thunderstorms outside!! I kind of like it :)

I am currently working on a few posts that I am really excited to share soon- but for now, I want to direct your attention to a fantastic article that I read this morning. Entitled "How to Talk to Little Girls" by Lisa Bloom, this article addresses the importance of relating and talking to girls using values and interests as points of conversation, rather than appearance. Appearance is the first thing we often comment on, so when we see a little girl we might say "oh! you are so cute!!" "i love your little outfit!" because that is just so easy to do- I sure am guilty of this! Ah!! But Bloom encourages us to reinforce non-appearance based things... for example, what are your favorite books? What are some of the things that you like to do? By engaging them in this way, we model for young girls that there are things more important and worthwhile than appearance, which is the opposite message than the one they typically get.

If you are a mother, an aunt, a cousin...  if you have a sister, if you interact with little girls, work with children at church, volunteer with children in the community, ... please, please read this. You can find the article here. Remember, change starts with us! We can make a difference, one day at a time. Happy reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment