Monday, April 4, 2011

Raleigh NEDA Walk Recap !!

Yesterday marked the first annual Raleigh NEDA Walk. (NEDA=National Eating Disorders Association). I know I have mentioned this event a lot on my blog, so you're probably either excited to read this post because it means the event is over and I will no longer be incessantly posting about it :), or you are maybe excited to hear how it went! Well... I am so happy to share that this event was not only FUN!!, but we raised over $10,000!! How incredible!!

We could not have asked for a more beautiful day (at 630am however, I was wondering if my fingers were ever going to thaw out- ha!). After a week of rain and clouds, I was just so thankful for a sunshine-y and blue clouds kind of day!!
Walkers heading from Meredith College onto the Greenway!


While the final numbers aren't in, I think we ended up having around 140-150 people come out for the event. I was so excited that people came out to support and help raise awareness about such an important cause. It ended up that a few news channels came out to cover the walk which was a great way to raise a little awareness for those at home- you can follow this link to watch a quick clip from News Channel 14's coverage. As a funny little aside, I had to give a super quick interview (which I really, really didn't want to do!! haha).. And I totally choked on the last question that the news reporter asked me!! I got nervous, and froze. Afterwards, I told the reporter how embarrassed I was that I froze (this was live and not able to be edited), she tried to reassure me that it was fine-- and then she said, "honestly, it's not like anyone really watches this anyways." HAHA. I thought that was pretty funny considering this is her job--I think she was just trying to make me feel better :-). It was a good reminder though that it's okay not to take yourself too seriously..



One of my favorite little things that we did at the registration table when people showed up??? We had ribbons out for people to pick out and wear- and while I'm not sure whose idea this was, it was awesome!! All of the ribbons were different patterns, colors, shapes and sizes...  which reflect beauty, ...which comes in all colors, shapes and sizes!! When people came to check in and register for the walk and I shared with them what the ribbons meant, people were really impacted. I wish I knew who to credit for this brilliant idea!!

Left to Right: Erika Pockell, Buddy Howard, Elyse Tilley, Nealie Tebb,
Michelle Adolphsen, Ellen Morrison, me and Heather Peyton
This was just such a rewarding experience, and one that I am so glad I was able to be a part of. I met some really great people in the process, too!! If you are interested in participating or volunteering for next year's walk, let me know (send me an email!). While we aren't going to start planning again for awhile, we could always use more volunteers, people who are passionate who want to help out OR who have ideas about next year's events. We already have some really great ideas and events that we are going to try to make happen in 2012.. but for now, I think celebrating the fun that we had and the community's contributions are in order :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment