Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Body Beautiful!!

At the risk of going a little overboard, I have to say (again) that I continue to be so inspired by the people that I meet each day. This is probably the third post this month that I have started like this- but I just love meeting people who have vision and who are hopeful about change and making a difference. 


Yesterday (on Pi day of all days), I spoke to 11th and 12th graders (at the North Carolina School of Science and Math)-- and I was a little nervous. I grew up in Chapel Hill, and know the reputation of this government funded school..  kids that attend NCSSM are smart. I'm a smart girl, but my smarts come in a different form than high school physics- haha. Anyways, two students (a male and a female- how awesome!) created a club called the Body Beautiful, and their intention is to raise awareness about eating disorders and to encourage healthy body image. It was so fun meeting two high school students who were doing what they could to raise awareness amongst their peers! What a great reminder that it doesn't matter your age or stage in life... no matter where we are at in our lives, we can all make a difference. 


Consider your spheres of influence. What can you do to make lasting change? You may not feel passionately about body image- you might have a heart to educate people about a particular kind of cancer, perhaps you are passionate about helping the poor, maybe you are interested in helping fight illiteracy. There are so many needs today- and no matter what you are passionate about, I challenge you to consider how you might make an impact- no matter how big or small!

No comments:

Post a Comment